SMOKED VENISON BACKSTRAP (LOIN)
Posted by Russ Kronstrom on
- 3 cups Apple Juice or Apple Cider
- 3 to 5 ounces of Rum or Burbon
- 3 Tbsp garlic granules or 3 0r 4 garlic cloves crushed and chopped
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp red pepper flakes or pepper
- 2 Tbsp: Seasoned salt (season and spice to your taste)
- 1 to 2 lb of thick sliced bacon
- Place backstrap in a gallon zip lock bag and add Apple Juice and Rum. Close bag and shake contents then place in Fridge for 2 to 3 hours.
- Mix spices together and set aside for a rub before Smoking
- When ready to smoke ( Smoker pre heated to 200F) remove backstrap from bag and drain in collander.
- Pat dry with paper towel and place on a plate or cooking sheet, rub spice mix over the surface of the backstrap covering completely
- Wrap completely with bacon securing with Toothpicks.
Place the back strap on the bottom rack of your Bradley smoker with the water pan on the heat diffuser, full of water. Depending on how much smoke flavour you want you can use the disk of your own desire, Hickory is always a good choice. Get the smoke generator started. Close the door and insure the temp rises back to around 200 F. After about 3 1/2 hours in the smoker check core temp of meat, 160 F will render a medium and very delicious and tender cut of meat.